Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The joys of simple pleasures of life

This week is going well with an average load of work.  We always have plenty of things to do but some weeks the work pours in and it is sometimes overwhelming. 


We have a pleasant, shady parking spot at the Lewisville Lake Park Campgrounds.  Over the weekend, there were about 50 boy scouts (or some group of boys with chaperons) camping in tents right across the street from us.  We have had cool nights (50's) and nice days in the 70's.  Today it reached 80 degrees.  I am enjoying a 30-minute walk in the park every day.  The lake is beautiful, the sky dark blue and the breeze is nice.  Our address is Kingfisher Drive but we are right around the corner from Catfish Drive and Trotline. 

Speaking of strange street names, I could not help but smile while we were parked at Boles Children's Home in Quinlan, TX.   The streets on their campus are named:   Love, Joy, Patience, Humility, Kindness and Peace.  Even the GPS picks up some of these streets in Quinlan, TX.

People in RV and camping parks stay much to themselves.  We speak in passing but everyone is here to enjoy the peace and quiet so they are not looking for friends.   I got to thinking about the difference in trailer parks and RV parks.  People have a high regard for those who own RV's and 5th wheels and these people are considered "lucky" or "well off," compared to people who live in trailer parks.  I guess most everyone that owns an RV or 5th wheel have a nice home somewhere and the motor home is their escape from the routine. 



The other day we passed an RV, a new one that was on the upper scale of expensive.  Ron remarked  "what a beauty."  I thought a minute and told him I'd never thought of an RV as being a beauty but I guess it might be real nice inside.  He said everything God made is beautiful.  After a minute, I questioned that statement as well.  I told him first of all, God didn't make RV's; and, secondly, there are things like alligators and hippos that are not really beautiful.  You can see what interesting conversations we have now that we are senior citizens and together every minute of the day and night.

You do need to be good friends to live this lifestyle.  Your neighbors are just an arm's length away and your space inside your domain is less than 10' wide.  We have to take turns in the hallway and bathroom.  Ron likes to cook his own breakfast so I stay in bed until he finishes and then I get up and make my coffee and breakfast.  The kitchen is not bad but certainly not designed for two people at the same time.

I can clean the shower, vacuum, dust and clean mirrors in about 30 minutes.  It's a Saturday morning chore but done so quickly I can move on to things I want to do for the rest of the day.  Since the space is small, everything has it's own special place.  I try to put things away and keep things neat.  I could not stand it otherwise.

In my spare time from the regular work, I'm working on my lesson for a ladies' day in Chattanooga, TN for September 10th.  I am looking forward to my time with this wonderful group of ladies.  I have written the text for my two 30-minute talks, but much time will be spent selecting pictures for the power point to go along with my lessons.

With the trip to Chattanooga, we will also be in Tennessee and Kentucky in August and September to report to churches that support our work.   From Texas, we will give reports to churches as we travel East.  This is not always true, but generally speaking, the smaller churches and the people who are not really wealthy, are the most giving.  The wealthy have a lifestyle that takes a lot of their money and often they have little left over to help others.  As I think on this truth, I read about an elderly lady that made a generous gift to the poor.  When asked if she could really afford it, her answer was this:

"I'm seventy-four now.  My husband died twenty-three years ago.  He wasn't able to leave me much money; for all this time I've earned a living by scrubbing and washing for others.  But I felt I should do more than that.  I wanted to also help those worse off than I am.  God has been good to me.  I have my health, a roof over my head, enough to eat.  So many people don't have these blessings.  And then I thought it would be better to work a little bit harder in this life and take my rest in the life to come." 

It's interesting to me to notice that those who have things in this life "a little bit harder" often seem to have a better foretaste of what heaven will be while many who seek heaven on earth through pleasure or self-gratification, have a dim view of and less desire for heaven. 

It's something to think about.

No comments: