Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Back to Thailand - another thing checked off our bucket list!

On New Year's day, we went to the airport and were able to change our tickets and fly back to Vientiane that day.    We went back to the same guest house hotel we had before and rested on Thursday.   Friday morning we caught a bus back to Mudkahan, Thailand.    The experience on the local bus was so bad, Ron said I probably should not post about it.   I told him I made up a list of my blessings as we rode the bus and I would definitely post them.    When you think things can't get worse, remember that it definitely can.   I thought the two days going to the villages was hard but if you want something a little worse, take a local bus for 9-l/2 hours.   O.K. here goes my experience and list of blessings that I made while riding the bus:



The boy at the hotel desk arranged a taxi for us at 6:30 a.m. to go to the bus station 30 minutes away and not have to take a pedicab.   Those guys charge more than taxis because they can without meters and you have to deal with the air blowing your hair and endure a much bumpier ride.    We woke up at 4:00 and couldn't go back to sleep so we finished packing and went down to see if we could get an earlier taxi and catch the first bus out.    They had arranged an "Uber" type taxi so the lady did not answer her phone and we still did not get to leave until 6:30.    We were in the lobby from 5 a.m. to 6:30.  But, it was a very nice car and we had a nice ride to the bus terminal.    I should say bus station because I really don't like to think of it as a terminal.  This one could have fit that description, however!

At the bus station, there was no bus with the name "King" that Ron had booked on-line and no one could read English on his computer confirmation.  He has now gotten a refund for that bus that we did not take.  

We got the last two seats on a bus to Savannahket (across the river from Mukdahan.   I was beside a lady who took up part of my seat and baggage under my seat from the person behind gave my feet very little room.    The bus stopped often and picked up more and more passengers so they put plastic stools in the aisle and then we were like sardines packed in this old bus.   

In the bus terminal, I heard roosters crowing and then saw men walking through with boxes with holes in the sides that had roosters inside.  I guess they were going to a fight somewhere and I crossed my fingers that they would not be on our bus.

As I sat in this cramped seat for 9-l/2 hours, I began to count my blessings.     No matter how bad things are, it could be worse.  This is the best way to accept circumstances that you have no control over but try to learn from your experiences.  I learned that I will not take a local bus again unless its only a 30 minute ride.   This has been checked off my bucket list.  

Here is my "Thankful List for the bus back to Thailand"?

1.   Had to wait for the taxi but it was a very nice car and my hair didn't get blown by riding in a Tuk Tuk (motorcycle taxi)
2.   Got the last seats on the bus but didn't have to sit on a stool in the aisle for 9-l/2 hours.
3.   Old bus did not wreck or break down.  It blew the horn all the way just like they do in China as they pass people, cars and motorcycles..
4.   Didn't have to go to the bathroom since the bus just stopped along the roadside and people went into the woods.
5.   Didn't get sick from any disease and no one was rude to us.
6.   Roosters did not make it on our bus (no ducks, chickens or other animals)
7.   Small children were on the bus but none cried.
8.   Lots of bags, boxes and other cargo loaded in baggage section (also two motorcyles) and on top of the bus but our bags did not get lost.  We were the last off the bus and our bags were still there. 
9.   Bus arrived in Savannahket but everyone had gotten off at other stops along the way so they made us get out about 1/2 mile from the bus terminal because they had to go unload cargo from the top of the bus.     We pulled our bags to the bus terminal after sitting for 9-l/2 hours and our legs still worked.
10.  Had to wait one hour for the next bus to Mukdahan but they never took money from us for the trip. 
11.  Toilets at this bus station had commodes even though there was no tissue or paper towels.
12.  No problems at the borders - departing Laos and entering Thailand - took time but no questions or problems.
13.  Bus driver changed bags when the bus changed to another bus while we were still inside immigration so our bags made it again.   
14.  Arrived at the bus terminal in Mukdahan 12 hours after leaving the bus terminal in Vientiane but still able to walk.  
15.  Pulled our bags l/2 mile to Makro (the super market closest to our room because we had no food).   The lady at the desk checked our bags while we bought the essentials for a few days.   She called a taxi for us.   The guards helped load the bags and groceries in the taxi.
16.  We arrived at our room 17 hours after waking up in Vientiane.  The day was as tiring and bad as the trip from the U.S.A. to Asia but it felt like home and we were safe.  .
17.  We could still walk and were alert enough to shop for a little food..
18.  Had a clean, nice room to come back to and could go to sleep immediately without difficulty.

So, there were many positives and another thing checked off our bucket list. None of these things were actually on my bucket list, but I know how they are going to be something I want to do again.    In fact, we've checked off quite a few things on our trip to Asia this year.   



No comments: